First and foremost as to not have there be any confusion. This will take countless hours of frustrating work and dealing with a large amount of rejection or even worse simply being ignored. If you can accept that here are some important things you need to make sure you do while booking.
- Do your research! Identify venues who host your style of music & provide what you need. The next part of that is to make sure you plan out where you want to go.
- Be sensible, meaning don't cross the country just because two venues 10 hours or more want you on to perform.
- Be professionally persistent.
- Be realistic, meaning don't ask for more or less than you're worth. While you need to be firm on this if you are new you will have to play for door splits… it's called paying your dues.
- It may even be necessary create an alter-ego for booking..for instance if your name is Chris… maybe Tony is your booking guy. Perception is often times reality for promoters and venue bookers.
- Use the tools that exist… get good at google maps, use Facebook, IG, spreadsheets will undoubtedly become your best friend.